Position Title: Assistant Professor-Health Promotion & Wellness
Department: School of Arts & Sciences
Position Status: Full Time, 10 months
Reports to: Dean, School of Arts & Sciences
FLSA Status: Exempt
Last Revision Date: June 7, 2017
Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University, located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, invites applications for a full-time, 10-month Assistant Professor to lead as the founding director of the School’s Health Sciences programs. During the first year of appointment, primary responsibilities focus on developing business plan for an on-campus student wellness center in addition advancing preparation for the approval and implementation of an undergraduate health promotion and wellness program at the University. Typical responsibilities thereafter may include a role in administering the aforementioned health wellness center in addition to providing quality instruction and an effective environment for student learning, service and scholarship. The faculty member participates in program and course assessment activities on an ongoing basis. This position is a 10 month full time faculty appointment to primarily teach courses in health promotion and wellness disciplines. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Initial review of applicants will begin immediately. The anticipated start date for this position is August 1st, 2017.
- Practice: The majority of time in this position will be dedicated to the operation of the clinic (if funding allows), including assessing prevalent health issues of students and the campus and in collaboration, developing appropriate health programs. The faculty-practice position will also include ensuring fiducial responsibility in the operation of the clinic and oversee day to day operations.
- Teaching: While all faculty are expected to mentor and advise students on their development, including choices relating to academic program, research projects and career directions, this position will be a unique faculty-practice appointment. In the teaching component of the position, faculty participate in the design and revision of curriculum offered, and evaluate and revise course content based on best practices, research, student evaluations or new developments in the discipline. Faculty also participate in contributions to continuous assessment and improvement of courses and student learning outcomes (SLOs).
- Scholarship and Professional Development: Faculty are encouraged to pursue scholarly research, publication and/or professional practice in the area of teaching emphasis. Faculty participate in continuing education courses, workshops, professional training programs, and/or educational webinars.
- Service: Faculty participate actively as members of the university community: on administrative committees, search committees, in university governance activities, and student advising and promotional activities.
- Mission: Faculty embrace and advance the Catholic, Franciscan mission of the University by ensuring all teaching, scholarship, and service activities are consistent with the mission and implemented so as to achieve its goals. Faculty embrace vocation in courses and/or during advising/mentoring.
- Master’s degree in health promotion and wellness or related field is required. PhD, CHES/MCHES certification, clinic administration experience and/or experience teaching health education, community health is preferred.
- Monday- Friday
- Occasional travel
- Occasional special events requiring some evenings and/or weekends
- Office, classroom, and laboratory environments
The person in this position must function in accordance with the philosophy and mission of the University, must display an appreciation for Catholic higher education and must demonstrate a commitment to diversity.
Email (preferred) or mail cover letter, CV, unofficial graduate transcripts and the names, professional affiliation, and contact information for three references to:
ATTN: Brian Rash, Dean, Arts & Sciences
RE: Assistant Professor (Health Promotion and Wellness)
5414 Brittany Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808